Fandom Fights Hunger
As a fandom we have done amazing things. We’ve helped children fight cancer. We helped a country destroyed by an earthquake. We’re continuing to aid those affected by the Australia flooding. We’re hoping you guys will work with us to help do one more amazing thing.
We want to take a bite out of hunger.
Did you know:
- 49 million Americans struggle with hunger, including 17 million children? ?
- Hunger & malnutrition are still the greatest risks to health worldwide? ?
- There are 925 million undernourished people in the world today? ?
- That means one in seven people do not get enough food to be healthy and lead an active life. Hunger and malnutrition are in fact the number one risk to the health worldwide — greater than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- In the United States, every dollar you give helps provide 7 meals for families struggling with hunger? ?
- $25 will help provide 150 meals, and $50, 350 meals.
Recently we were trading recipes with some friends on Twitter and got to thinking about how amazing it would be to have a cookbook compiled of recipes from around the fandom. We decided to take it one step further. Why not put together an amazing recipe book and help those fighting hunger at the same time?
This is where you come in.
First, we’d like to ask you to contribute a recipe to be included in the cookbook. We have such a diverse fandom, the possibilities for recipes from around the world are fantastic! Please let us know the approximate time required for preparation and cooking as well as how many the recipe is estimated to feed. If you have a photo of the completed recipe please include it and we will include it in the cookbook. Please submit your recipe to us at [email protected] by February 15, 2011.
Second, we ask you to please make a donation of at least $5 (USD) to a local food bank, Feeding America or another national level food program, or The United Nations’ World Food Programme, and email us the receipt for your donation by February 28, 2011. We’ve provided links to several Food Banks across the globe on the Donate! page, as well as links to search for a food bank both in America, and abroad.
We will be emailing the completed cookbook by March 15, 2011. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]